Friday, April 20, 2012

Something Different For Me..


Dedicated to my Enchanted”, not a usual letter starter… but this is how all of these letters started that were delivered to my house on my 18th birthday in a cardboard box. No return address, but one wasn’t needed because your location was already well known…

My heart.

Love tore apart by unsupportive by-standers and a single heart broken.
Just mines.
So I thought, but as I sat there with your letters in my hand, tears rolled down my face because then and only then did I realize
It wasn't just mines.

I had always thought that you had just forgotten about me and everything that we had 
You never fought for me…
NO, US.
And I could never understand why.
I never could understand anything ‘til this very day…
You always acted as if you were never fazed by any of this,
But here you had been writing me letters the whole time that we were apart…
The whole year and four months that we were
Forcefully
Separated…


When hard times came about,
“Don’t forget”
Were words of code that we whispered amongst each other.
Words only us, and a few close friends really knew the meaning of.
Don’t forget me …
Don’t forget …
iloveyou...
No two words said more,
Yet no two words did I think you would forget more quickly.


“My heart was never completely invested in letting you go, and I prayed that yours was never completely invested in letting me go either…”
The most memorable part of these letters…
No words replayed in my head more often then those, nor had my heart beating
So
Fast
That you could literally see it jumping out of my chest.
At this point the tears that were rolling down my face previous to this line,
Kicked into full-blown “waterfall” mode…
Therefore causing my fresh birthday make-up to run down my face.
Turns out you waited for me.
Just like I prayed you would.


“Dedicated to my Enchanted”
Yes still a strange way to start a letter, but as I spent my whole 18th birthday reading and rereading these letters you wrote to me, while listening to music it all began to make sense.
Enchanted by Taylor Swift began to play
And as I sat there and listened to the lyrics I realized what it meant to not only be just “somebody’s” Enchanted,
But to be yours.
You were enchanted to meet me…
We were enchanted to be together.


But you know what’s crazy?
You signed all your letters
“The one who lost it all…”
And finally your name…

Sad thing is,
I was the one who really lost it all, as I opened my eyes to realize…
It was all
Just a dream …

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part about this is that it is in the form of a love poem, and then it turns out to be a tragedy.

    I also think the stanzas and line spacing really works. How did you decide where to do the breaks?

    ReplyDelete